Departure Time: 11:15am
This will be adjusted for late arrival cruise ships, pick up/departure time will be confirmed upon booking!
Experience the unique beauty of rural New Zealand in Ohariu Valley, only 20 minutes northwest of Wellington city.
This 4WD Adventure Farm tour has plenty of interesting stops along the way for young and old. The beautiful setting of rolling hills of green pasture's, hillside sheep & the famous wild Kaimanawa horses.
Feed the wild Kaimanawa horses & huge wild eels.
Stand beside 111 metre tall wind turbine's & enjoy a complimentary afternoon tea at the shepherd's cabin on the cliffs overlooking Cook strait with stunning views of the South Island.
You’ll be picked up in our comfortable 4WD Land Cruiser from either the Centre Port terminal, outside Wellington train station or outside the iSite Centre in Wellington city.
You’ll be driven northwest of the city for 20 minutes out to the rural Ohariu Valley, travelling past local farms with sheep, cattle and horses. The real excitement begins as we embark on the 24 kms of purpose built wind farm road where you will be able to stand directly underneath one of the 26 wind turbines located on the farm. Our first stop will have you feeding out hay to the wild Kaimanawa horses who are decendants of the first wild horses discovered in NZ back in 1876.
Discover Rural New Zealand:
Back into the Land Cruiser and you will travel past sheep and cattle. There will be plenty of photo opportunities throughout the tour.
Your guide will be giving information throughout about the general day to day operation of the farm and what’s involved with working with 6000 sheep, 400 cattle and 100 horses.
The next stop is at one of the massive wind turbines. Feel and hear the power of this magnificent 111 metre tall feat of precision engineering as it rotates its blades directly right above you!
We then head out to our shepherd’s cabin on the cliffs where complimentary afternoon tea is served while you enjoy stunning views across the Cook Strait and the South Island.
This is where the Pacific Ocean merges with the Tasman Sea. Experience New Zealand’s natural beauty and get a glimpse of what the early settlers must have marvelled at when first arriving in this untouched and rugged country.
We make our final stop at Ohariu Stream, which runs through the property. Here you can hand feed our wild eels.
Finally, you are driven back to your destination having experienced a slice of the real rural New Zealand.
Experience Rural New Zealand
- Small group 4x4 vehicle
- Personal Driver/guide (Farm Owner)
- Shepherds Hut Afternoon stop over
- 4x4 Vehicle Tour
- Experience Lush Countryside.
- Complimentary afternoon tea, i.e. muffins and cheese & crackers, tea/herbal teas/coffee/milo (a hot malt beverage),
- A bottle of NZ mineral water
Access to sunscreen and insect repellent
- Bottled water
- Food for eel's and Horses
- Guaranteed return to ship on time every time!
- A free pick-up and drop-off at Centre Port terminal, Wellington train station or the i-SITE centre located in the city
- Adult from $159.00 nzd
- Child (4yrs-14yrs) $89.00 nzd
Shore Excursions cancellation policy:
- If you cancel at least 7 days in advance of the scheduled departure, there is no cancellation fee.
- If you cancel between 3 and 6 days in advance of the scheduled departure, there is a 50 percent cancellation fee.
- If you cancel within 2 days of the scheduled departure, there is a 100 percent cancellation fee.
- If for whatever reason your ship is not able to dock on the day of your excursion then all monies paid will be refunded!